2013 Royal Commissioning Parade UPNM

In the military, no matter how incompetent or vile or repulsive you find your superiors, in the end you would have to swallow your ego, eat their shit and salute them as a sign of respect. But there is this saying which goes: "We salute the rank, not the man". What happens is that any respect shown is actually meant for the rank and none for the man. Well, in some exceptional cases, there are superiors or seniors who actually do not qualify for this saying. People actually respect them with or without their ranks. They excel and earn respect without even demanding for it and they live by UPNM's motto "Duty, Honor, Integrity". These are the seniors who represent the true essence of being a military officer and a gentlemen.

A perfect example would be Second Lieutenant Chan Jun Shen. This is the man who guided me through out my journey in UPNM. He showed me how to carry my self as a future officer; he also showed me a good example how seniors should act whereby teaching and guiding should be the main priority not anything else. Without his guidance, I would have turn out to be a bloody mucopurulent bastard with third world mentality who oppresses juniors out of fun and greed.



Second Lieutenant Chan jun Shen 




"Kecil-Kecil Cili Padi". This is the malay peribahasa you associate with Senior Chan. Small in stature but gigantic in every other way. Be it endurance, power, knowledge, voice or confidence. It is amazing how one so small can appear so humongous. I have seen him cowed people very much larger than him, out run people taller than him and also fight for his men against higher authority and actually getting his way. Small and deadly just like a cili padi.  


Senior Chan was the one who encouraged me to start triathlon. Heck, he was the one who got me my first bike. I still remember him walking almost 2km under the hot sun to go to another senior's room just to negotiate the price of my bike. Imagine a 3rd year senior doing that for the most junior cadet, it was unheard of.  He taught me everything I needed to know as a triathlete, how to bike hard and run fast, how to transition smoothly and much much more. What I'm trying to say is that I would not be who I am today without Senior Chan. I'm proud to be the protege of 3xIronman Finisher Chan Jun Shen.


My mentor



Well, last Saturday, Senior Chan and the rest of his batch commissioned as a second lieutenant by the Agung himself. It is a very significant day which marks the beginning of a journey as a military officer. This is what they all have been training and preparing for since they joined UPNM 5 years ago. All the shit eaten, all the pain endured, all the hardships undergone led to that very day.


Agung (standing in the middle) going to inspect the parade


So as a token of gratitude and appreciation of what Senior Chan has done for me all this years, I volunteered to be his photographer for that very special day. It was a nice experience seeing the proud beaming parents, the seniors in their parade jacket, seeing the flawless parade by our seniors and actually seeing the Agung in person. The pictures can be seen on my wall or via this link. 
I hope it works. Do let me know if you can't view the pictures. Oh ya, the pictures were taken by me and edited by none other than Senior Chan himself.

So yeah, would like to to take this chance to wish: all the best to you, Tuan Chan! We know you will excel in the Navy, godspeed!

Comments

Popular Posts